The Centre of santé Nimatoullah
Abidjan, Cote d´Ivoire
The Nimatullahi Health Center was founded in 2005 and is a licensed First Contact Medical Facility as per the law nº 434/MSHP/DGS/S-DESPR of 28 December 2007 of the Ivory Coast Health and HIV Prevention Ministry.
The Nimatullah Health Center is owned by and operates under the administrative authority of the Javad Nurbakhsh Foundation. The Foundation, as inscribed in its founding statutes rergistered with the Ivory Coast, is a non-governmental and not for profit humanitarian organization.
The aim of the Foundation is to improve the health outcomes of disadvantaged populations, without distinctions as to origin, race, or religious, political or philosophical convictions.
The Nimatullahi Health Center opened its doors under the personal and compassionate mentorship of Javad Nurbakhsh (1926-2008), professor of psychiatry and Master of the Nimatullahi Sufi Order for over 50 years. The initial funds for the construction of the Nimatullahi Health Center were provided by the Nimatullahi Sufi Order, which continues to provide financial assitance for all of the Health Center’s activities.
HEALTH CENTER OPERATIONS
The Health Center is organized into following units:
- General and specialized outpatient medical consultations in the following areas: dental surgery, pediatrics, nutrition, gynecology, ophtalmology, endocrinology, cardiology, emergency medicine, dermatology, neurology and gastroenterology.
- Maternal and child welfare
- HIV (screening, prevention, support and treatment)
- Dental Care
- Nursing care
- Vaccinations (tuberculosis, diphteria, tetanus, whooping cough, hepatitis A and B, polio, chicken pox, etc.)
- Laboratory testing
- Medical imaging and radiology
- Hospitalization: for monitoring purposes, capacity of four to six beds
-Pharmacy stocked with a wide range of medicines for the diseases treated at the Health Center
- Administration (day to day management, human resources, sach and accounting)
HEALTH CENTER STAFF
The medical, technical and administrative teams of Nimatullahi Health Center are comprised of more than 50 professionals, including general practitioners, midwives, nurses, health aides, administrative and technical agents, as well as specialists in the areas mentioned above.
As of January 2015, the Nimatullahi Health Center was staffed by more than 20 full-time permanent salaried employees (medical, administrative and technical personnel), and by more than 30 part-time professionals for specialized medical consultations or field campaigns.
The Health Center personnel are also assisted by trained and experienced volunteers who work in all different specialities, as well as in administrative and project management capacities. The Health Center also has project teams for specific initiatives, such as the Malaria Project, in partnership with the non-governmental organization CARE. The medical and administrative director of the Nimatullahi Health Center is Dr. Muhamad Radji.
THE NIMATULLAHI HEALTH CENTER IN A FEW FIGURES
More than 100,000 medical or paramedical interventions in 2014:
- 17,387 curative medical consultations (compared with 2,000 in 2006)
- 18,582 laboratory tests ( compared with 7,607 in 2008)
- 1,775 x-ray and medical imaging scans (compared with 1,029 in 2010)
- 995 ultrasounds (compared with 21 in 2006)
- 308 electrocardiograms (compared with 30 in 2007)
- 858 dental procedures (compared with 418 in 2010)
- 61,000 euro budget for medicines in 2013 (compared with 1,000 euros in 2006)
- 1,024 observations or hospitalizations (compared with 228 in 2006)
- 1,433 HIV screening tests (of which 116 were positive, a rate of 8%); 249 pregnant women screened to prevent in utero transmission ( with a 3% positive rate)/ Monitoring of seropositive patients in 2014: 246 adults and nine children
More tan ever, the Dr Javad Nurbakhsh Foundation needs the help of its friends and supporters.
Since its founding, the Health Center staff has been confronted with an ever increasing demand for medical care by the local communities. To meet this need, it is imperative to hire additional staff and acquire more medical equipment.
SPECIAL PROJECTS AT THE HEALTH CENTER
The Nimatullahi Health Center actively participates in different public health initiatives at the national and international level, which revolve around the following thematic areas:
- Free national medical care program for persons living with HIV: the Nimatullahi Health Center has had a permanent HIV unit since 2009 and is a registered HIV screening and prevention center in the Ivory Coast. The Health Center is also active at the national and international levels in the prevention of mother to child transmission.
- Malaria Project Round 8-Phase 2: Project to massively scale up malaria prevention activities at a national level in the Ivory Coast. The Nimatullahi Health Center, under contract with the non-governmental organization CARE, which itself operates under a grant from the World Bank, has undertaken the following malaria prevention activities: distribution of Milda mosquito nets, support for modifying at-risk behaviour, malaria prevention during pregnancy, training of community health workers, and improving the follow-up care in 15 of the 19 districts in the Ivory Coast in the following health regions: Abidjan2, Agneby-Tiassa- Mé, and Sud-Comoé, concerning more than 4 million inhabitants. This was a huge challenge fot the Nimatullahi Health Center, which undertook dozens of supervisory visits during the June-November 2014 campaign in order to mobilize 853 community liason representatives, which made possible 18,713 home visits, as well as thousands of malaria prevention consultations, of which 12,000 were for pregnant women, and 10,000 of whom received preventative treatment.
- Immunizations/ National Program to Eradicate Tuberculosis and the Expanded Immunization Program: the Nimatullahi Health Center’s vaccination unit is actively engaged in the fight against tuberculosis, diphteria, tetanus, whooping cough, hepatitis A and B, polio, chicken pox, etc.
- Autism: Research initiative around the management of autism in the Ivory Coast, in partnership with a professor at DePaul University in Chicago.
HOW TO DONATE
Currently the Foundation and the Health Center have the following partnerships and financing agreements:
- The Ivory Coast Health and HIV Prevention Ministry for numerous Health Center activities as well as the National Institute of Public Hygiene and the Ivory Coast National Institute of Public Health, an agency of the Health Ministry
- The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation which supports the Health Center’s HIV unit
- The international humanitarian non-governmental organization “CARE” (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere Inc.) for the Malaria Round 8 Project- Phase 2 in the fight against malaria
- The Flora Family Foundation
For more information about the Centre de Santé Nimatoullah, please visit the oficial website: